Ellie Saab via pinterest.com.
Everything’s coming up pastels this spring and summer. From Pantone’s Fashion colour Report for spring 2013 to the S/S 13 runways, pastels are everywhere! Designers like Olympia Le Tan, Erdem, Creatures of the Wind, Marc Jacobs, Christian Louboutin and many others have been showcasing pastel clothing, accessories, shoes and jewellery.
The key to this latest pastel trend is to wear them bright and bold. You can see what I mean by taking a look at the Spring Pantone Report. These colours are definitely in the pastel family, but there are no baby soft colours here.
Even though these pastels are brighter than your average ice cream pastels, they are still muted somewhat to the overall colour trend for bright colours that we’ve been seeing for the past few years. I argue that these bright pastels are more wearable for most women and I think it’s a welcome change to the dominant bright colour trend in women’s fashion.
Some tips to wearing pastels.
- To mix this trend up a bit, wear bright and bold pastels with more soft and ethereal pastels. Think neon and pastels! Of course, you can also wear these colours with neutrals like khaki, white, navy and grey.
- And for those who are thinking only in terms of solids, don’t be afraid to invest in some patterned pastels. Designers sure weren’t afraid to include them in their spring/summer collections and there are plenty of fabulous patterns in the ready to wear world.
- Mix the ombre trend with pastels for a fun way to optimize your trends this spring.
- An important tip to wearing pastels is to avoid being too saccharine and sherbert with your outfits. Don’t think you can’t be edgy when wearing pastels–it can be done.
- Finally, if you aren’t committed to completely throwing yourself into the pastel trend, try adding pastel accessories to your outfit. That’s a perfect way to experiment with something new without committing 100%.
Finally, here are some perfect pastel accessories to add to your wardrobe.
Pastel A-morir Phillips Sunglasses.
Jane Bohan Peridot Ring
Lilac Brooch from vantageJewellery on Etsy.
Robert Rose Triangle Cuff in Peach and Mint at Nordstrom.
Pink Dior S/S 2013 Bag via Love, Americana.
Pink and Snakeskin Furla Candy Bag via Wish Wish Wish.
Lilac Linen Scarf from Schalrausch on Etsy.
Alexis Bittar Lucite Bangle in Blue at Nordstrom.
Oscar de la Renta Pastel Carved Cabochon Earrings at Neiman Marcus .
Pink and Yellow Christian Louboutins via Vogue.
Kendra Scott Jolie cocktail Ring in Coral.